At its 41st meeting, the World Heritage Committee of UNESCO in Kraków, Poland, decided that the Bauhaus World Heritage will be expanded by two buildings by Bauhaus director Hannes Meyer in Bernau and Dessau.
As the leading university of architecture and design the Bauhaus revolutionized the architectural and aesthetic conceptions between 1919 and 1933 and played a major role in the movement of moderism. In 1996, the UNESCO honored the exceptional universal value of it's pedagogical ideas and buildings by declaring five Bauhaus Sites in Weimar and Dessau as World Heritage.
The UNESCO World Heritage Committee has now decided at its 41th meeting in Kraków, Poland, to expand the Bauhaus World Heritage with two buildings that were created by the second Bauhaus director Hannes Meyer: The ADGB Trade Union School, opened 1930 in Bernau near Berlin, and the so called Laubengang Houses (houses with balcony access) in Dessau-Törten.
The Bauhaus World Heritage includes now buildings in the three federal states of Thuringia, Saxony-Anhalt and Brandenburg, which have jointly developed the application under the leadership of the State of Saxony-Anhalt. In Weimar, the main building of the Bauhaus University, the former School of Arts and Crafts on Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse, and the Haus Am Horn, in Dessau the Bauhaus Building, the Masters’ Houses, and the Laubengang Houses, and in Bernau the former ADGB Trade Union School. More about the World Heritage Sites of Moderism in Germany see here.
Hannes Meyer, who succeeded Walter Gropius as a Bauhaus Director (1928-1930), realized the idea of collective work on a building project within the framework of the training in the construction department of the Bauhaus. In Meyer's concept, the buildings were designed on the basis of a science-based design methodology and functional-economic design with a social claim. The Laubengang Houses in Dessau are a testimony to the Bauhaus's contribution to social housing construction during the interwar and the Bundeschule of the ADGB in Bernau documents the design methodology for a complex construction program in connection with the surrounding landscape.